The position is full time and salaried and you will be an important piece to help us support the needs of our clients and IT engineering staff. An excellent Help desk technician must have good technical knowledge and be able to communicate effectively to understand the problem and explain its solution.
- Someone with an applicable degree may be eligible to earn a higher salary than someone with no education in the field.
- A support help desk is the customer-facing department that handles complaints, offers product support, and fields technical questions for computer networks, software and hardware.
- This allows IT help desk engineers to provide a more efficient service.
- The help desk request problem solving process including actions taken through to the final …
help desk engineer ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target. Today, it’s easier than ever to launch a computer support specialist career. There are many routes to becoming a help desk technician, but you don’t need to attend several years of schooling.
What Does A Help Desk Technician Do?
If this describes you, you have the aptitude to become a hel pdesk support specialist. This position gives you a chance to work with people while doing what you love. As businesses grow, their need for competent help desk support will grow.
IT professionals who choose to be patient with themselves and others are better equipped to swiftly get to the bottom of problems and discover solutions. To be more patient, keep in mind that your end customers are not as technically savvy as you are. This will help you maintain your calm and establish a connection with them.
Understand the big picture of the IT industry
Ready to see what radically personal customer service looks like? Many jobs in the technology field require a Bachelor’s degree or higher, but not the IT help desk.
- Personalized attention, patience, excellent communication skills, and the technical prowess to simplify customer problems are all necessary qualities in a help desk technician.
- It’s also a great place to get to know the company you work for and the products they offer.
- Help desk technicians are the first point of contact for clients calling their IT support company asking for help, reporting an issue, or looking for answers and information.
- – This is an important step because it helps the technician know how much the client will be able to assist in resolving the issue from their end.
- In this article, we’ll explore these five central questions surrounding the work of a help desk technician.
- They also offer excellent customer service and advice to all users in different types of companies.
You will ask appropriate questions and use knowledge and resources to diagnose and resolve their issues. You will escalate issues that extend beyond Tier I span of control. There are a lot of online coding camps and technology starter courses available, so it’s important to choose wisely. Look for a program that’s catered specifically to IT support roles. For example, the Information Technology Support Online Certificate offered at Rasmussen University is designed to help students develop the technical and customer support skills employers are looking for. Rather than thinking of IT support technicians as the bottom rung of the career ladder, think of them as being on the frontlines of customer service, providing valuable knowledge to company executives.
Sure, some people choose to stay in entry-level roles (that’s what they claim, but secretly daydream about moving up) for most or all of their careers; nothing wrong with that. But, there are also people who skyrocket through the industry as if they were cruising through outer space. Everyone that has worked in customer service knows that there are always those few customers that call about every little issue and end up wasting the customer service agent’s time.
They spend their https://remotemode.net/ helping with little things instead of working on stuff that can directly translate into big-time promotions. Now, there might be some exceptions here and there, but if you really want to make it far in the industry, you should treat entry-level positions as a means to an end.